Resolution Check-In

  1. Update my stash on Ravelry (I think I only have about 2/3 posted as of yet)
  2. Finish my holiday knitting by the end of October
  3. Knit at least one holiday gift per month through October
  4. Knit from my deep stash (and use some for holiday gifts)
  5. Knit at least five items for charity (probably preemie hats or pet snuggies)
  6. Attempt to blog weekly!

 

  1. All of my stash is on Ravelry except for one skein of sock yarn and one skein of baby yarn I picked up at JoAnn’s when they had a really good sale mid-February.
  2.  I’ve already knit a few cowls for holiday knitting!
  3. It’s only March and I’ve got three holiday gifts knit so far an in the box, so this goal’s completed so far.
  4. I have been knitting from deep stash, which makes me feel happy (and means I can potentially buy some new, nice yarn!)
  5. I’ve knit one preemie hat and I completed twelve (count ‘em, 12!) snuggles (some were knit, some were crochet, some were sewn) for a February Animal Lovers KAL held by Sadie of the Yarnivore podcast. I plan on donating half of them to my local shelter in College Park, and the other half to my hometown shelter in Hagerstown. Goal accomplished! (Though, I will still knit a few preemie hats since I have leftover baby yarn from the project for my cousin’s new little boy.)
  6. I was doing really good on this goal for a while, but it has been a month since I last updated this blog. Last month was a short month, and it was also a show month so that took a lot out of me. Also, good news! I switched departments at work, so my position won’t be outsourced (whenever they get around to actually doing it…. it was supposed to originally happen last June!) and I got a raise! It’s more work, but less pressure so add all that to more money and you get a significantly happier Ashleah who is significantly less stressed. :) I hope to get by on just posting FO updates to reach my goal of weekly blogging. Yeah, I know I’m lazy.

FO: Spatterdash Writstwarmers

I finished my Spatterdash Wristwarmers. I used Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Select in the Foxy Lady colorway, and Colinette Jitterbug in the Marble colorway. They match my heavily modified Foaming Waves Chemo Cap from my last post. I’m also working on a cowl that will complete the set.

I had such a hard time finding buttons that I really liked on the mitts, so I decided to dive into my bead stash. I found some squarish mother-of-pearl beads that I thought would look wonderful on the mitts.

Image

I can’t wait until I finish the cowl. These items are going to be my “deep winter” accessories. I’ve been wearing a hat/scarf/mitts combo that are made from fingering weight yarn, and they’re pretty airy. They’re better for early-fall through early-winter, before it starts getting really cold. Now that there’s snow on the ground, I need a warmer set.

 

FO: (Sort of) Foaming Waves Chemo Cap

I loved the look of the Foaming Waves Chemo Cap, but I didn’t like how many pattern repeats were used for the original pattern. I wanted more of a crown to my hat, so I set about modifying the pattern to fit my aesthetic better. However, I’m not sure if this hat is even worthy of holding the name of this pattern. I heavily modified the pattern. Emphasis on the heavy. When does a modified pattern become a completely new pattern?

For my hat, I CO 96 stitches with my Colinette Jitterbug in the Marble colorway, held double on US size 5 dpns, and did the foaming waves stitch pattern for 2 repeats (instead of 3mlike the pattern originally specified). Then, I knit 3 rows of garter stitch, and then 1 row of the lace pattern (to add shaping to keep the top rows of garter stitch wavy instead of flat like the pattern originally had). I switched yarns to the Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Select in the Foxy Lady colorway (also held double), and knit 5 rows, placing 4 stitch markers evenly throughout the round on the 5th row. I then knit a decrease row, with a ssk on the right side of each marker and a k2tog on each left side. I knit 10 rows straight, 1 decrease row, and then 3 straight rows. I then repeated 1 decrease row, followed by 2 straight rows four times. After that was 1 decrease row, 1 straight row, then I knit decrease rows until there were 8 stitches left on the needles. I pulled the yarn through and then wove in the ends.

Behold, a hat: 

Image

Here is my hat (that fits my tiny head perfectly) on Dav’s (very large) head. 

My 9-month old kitten Calypso (“Caly”) wanted to check it out, too.

Image

 

FO: Treads for Davin

I finished a pair of fingerless mitts for Davin! I used the pattern Treads, which is actually a pattern for fingerless gloves. Dav doesn’t like fingerless gloves, but she likes fingerless mitts. So I modified the pattern to be fingerless mitts. I knit them out of Lion Brand Wool-Ease in the Oxford Gray colorway. I’ve had one ball in my stash for what seems like forever. This project helped me follow one of my 2013 Knitting Resolutions.

After knitting a regular knit row (after the last row of the linen ridge stitch repeats for the hand), I knit three rows in k1p1 ribbing, then bound off loosely for the top of the hand. For the thumb, I finished with three rows in k1p1 ribbing as well, to match the top of the hand.

 Modeled by Davin:

Image

 

Close-up of the mitts so you can see the stitch pattern:

Image